Regardless of how you feel about our now current president, I hope that you took away today the same feeling of hope and national unity that I did. I did have a very unique view on the inauguration however. I was lucky enough to be in a room of about 45 elementary students while President Obama was sworn in. There is no better feeling of hope for the future than to hear that youth and spirit of our future cheering for their leader. The kids were so cute and excited although VERY CONFUSED. We had somehow gotten this event mixed up with Martin Luther King day so when asked what special day today was I got a few "MLK is going to be our new president" or "Obama died and today is his birthday"... I even got one "Today we will have a new MOOSE" haha! If you don't know sign language the location of these signs are similar and this student was very confused. We also had some very interesting interpretations of the musical numbers given to us by our Deaf, Autistic students. I think they were wondering what that woman with the very peculiar hat was doing?!? :o)
But after all of the confusion and the interruption of classes today, it was a moment I will hold with me. We should all feel so excited about our country and just as hopeful...
Here's to what's to come...
1 comment:
You don't need to agree with the President's politics to see the beauty in this historic day. I was proud as I watched him take the oath of office and proud as I tried to explain to my kids the importance of this day. It's amazing to me that only 50 years ago this country was such a different place and I am proud at where we are today. I may not agree with him politically but because he is our President he has my support and certainly will be in my prayers. =)
Post a Comment