Sunday, April 4, 2010

my first turkey

Mike and I decided to stay home for Easter this year, we were planning on going to see Kellen and Janelle before they take off for Africa for a year but the mountain weather and my immune system made the decision for us. Despite my under the weather-ness, I decided this would be a great time to try out my culinary skills and test out turkey cooking. I have never done it before because it seems so intimidating and only something someone with mad kitchen skills should try... but I have been doing more and more cooking lately and have some REALLY cute platters I got from the in-laws that I have been dying to use. So why not, right? Have you ever looked on the internet for advice on how to cook a turkey?!?! GOODNESS- you could do it 800 different ways! I tried to stay simple but have lots of flavor and I only made one (minor) mistake.... I didn't know where the stupid giblets were and so just figured my turkey didn't have any.... uh no. After cooking it for 2 hours I ran across an article that said to take the giblets out of the TURKEY NECK.... WHAT?!?! who would ever know those little guys were hidden there? dang- but luckily I guess its not a big deal, I thought for sure the whole thing was ruined.
In the end, the turkey turned out REALLY well and was not as complicated as I originally thought. yay for trying new things!!!
Now who is going to clean up this enormous mess? hahaha
Here are some pics of the bird, the table, a very sick and ugly me, and the project mike was slaving away on all day while I was cooking (we are trying to finish our fence)
Happy Easter all my friends and family







5 comments:

Dorey said...

Yum! Good Job! I made my first turkey for Christmas a couple of years ago and it was nerve-racking! Half way through it I started to regret the decision to invite other people to come and "test" it out! But it all worked out. =0) I'm glad you guys had a nice Easter and I hope you feel better soon!

Moore Minutes said...

Your dog is SO cute, lol. :) Awesome on doing your own turkey! Ugh, I hate cooking those...my hands go weak with the whole neck part. :-/ ewww I tried a buttermilk brine on our Thanksgiving bird and that was a fun change. BUT I still get too grossed out and may have to pass on preparing them too often in the future. Yours looks delicious! How fun to do in your new home sweet home.

Weston said...

mmm turkey. i've actually cooked a few turkeys in my day... first one was at the tender age of 18 when i cooked a thanksgiving meal for friends the day after. it was a lot of work! glad to see you're feeling adventurous enough to take a stab even while sick. looks like it was a success!

Mer said...

I have yet to make my first turkey. I try everything to not have to cook one. Hmmm, one of these days it will catch up to me. Great job, you're quite the little homemaker. So proud of you, maybe one day you can teach me. Hahaha!

Becca said...

Your Easter meal looks fabulous! I have never made a turkey myself. I always do ham on Thanksgiving and have someone else do the turkey. Good job!