Friday, August 14, 2009

the job

I am fortunate enough to be employed at the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind and am a proud Bulldog despite being a faculty member for only 2 weeks... I can't believe the warmth and support that I have received in my induction here and am truly excited to begin this journey with my 3 and 4 year old students. They have tested my courage and allegiance with a terrifying ropes course and my endurance with 2 weeks of 11 hour days. But I have a great paraprofessional and an amazing admin staff..
That being said... I am slightly terrified and exhausted and the kids haven't even arrived yet. This preschool program has been in duress for the past few years and they are thankful to have a certified teacher of the Deaf as an addition to their early childhood program... but as only a 4th year teacher and having experience only in the areas of science and english I am not sure that I am the savior that they have made me out to be. I have also been entrusted with the "early years" program which is a support/resource program for parents of young Deaf children that need support and that gives them ideas and companionship... it is such an amazing concept and I am nothing but proud to not only be apart of it, but run it... it is flattering... and OVERWHELMING.
I only hope that I have the strength to meet these parents and children where they need me to be... to be the teacher and shoulder to these families that I feel is my calling...
I am excited and scared to be a part of this endeavor... but what other feelings would be necessary?....
faith?

1 comment:

Dorey said...

It takes a lot of love and dedication to do what you do and I'm sure you are amazing at it! =)