I also went on a Kayaking trip with the girls in my family. Can I just say that my family rocks... I know that sounds weird but the guys in my family are so cool with their guitar skills, outdoorsman-ness, always laid back attitude and all around awesomeness.... but the girls in our family are outstanding. Not only can they do all that the guys do (with a baby on their hip) but they do it looking fabulous! I was invited on the girls kayak trip down the Colorado river and was pretty nervous about it. These girls rock and are pretty hard core when it comes to roughing it. I thought I would be the baby and hold them back... but in the spirit of doing things for me and finding my inner strength this summer, I not only agreed to the trip but I decided to do the two day trip instead of stopping after one like some of the others. This meant camping out on the river- no tents, just on the sand under the stars- 2 days outside wind, rain or shine....
My experience on this trip was life changing. I know.... sounds crazy but it pushed me to limits that I wasn't sure I could handle. It pushed my body to kayak down the river, it pushed my spirit to put up with the elements even after some ravens stole all of our food, it rained and stormed on us and almost capsized us and it pushed my limits that I set for myself... it was a wake up call to what I am capable of... what my body allows me to do and that I can do it while having the best time of my life. I want to call upon that person later on this year when life seems to take over. I want to tell that stressed out girl- YOU are strong, YOU are capable and work is not who YOU are.... I have the ability to do more than I ever thought... and that feels amazing.
The end of the summer brought friends here to the springs, a housewarming party and lots of love surrounding us in our home. It was amazing for me to look at the people in our house and think- one year ago I didn't know any of you... I guess even in the midst of all of my craziness, friendships bloomed and amazing people came out of the woodwork. I am so thankful for this summer... It makes me emotional as the school year is about to begin. I feel so lucky to have had the time to explore myself, to realize my worth and to have an absolute kick ass time doing it! Here's to a better year, a better me and pushing ourselves to our absolute LIMITS in order to see who we might become!
Here are some highlights of my BEST. SUMMER. EVER.
![]() |
| Photo slideshow customized with Smilebox |

3 comments:
I just wanted to let you know that that totally made me cry. Soooo proud of you. I am so happy that things re-aligned for you and you are starting the "new year" with a clear head and inspired soul.
Love you.
-Becky
I very sincerely enjoyed this post. Glad to hear you're having a great time on your vacay. Derrick maintains that our first real trip as a couple will be going down the Grand Canyon. His first time down was life-changing for him as well.
Your new blog design is fun...I LOVE Shabbyblogs.com...or anything shabby lol. ;)
This blog post was so encouraging Abby! Your writing style is awesome, it always captivates me and makes me dig deeper and think. Those life changing moments that you had on the river trip are GOLD. Those are the best moments of life. And the way you described the Keisling women was PERFECT!! You are absolutely right. I've always admired the entire Keisling family. Very inspiring post, thank you.
Also enjoyed the slideshow. what a truly AMAZING summer. <3
Post a Comment