Tuesday, September 16, 2008

kids make me smile

As crappy as my job can be sometimes, there are those moments that will make me smile for a long time. Our school had a little memorial ceremony on 9/11 to educate the kids on what happened and how we need to always remember how lucky we are to have our freedom. Some of the kids were understandably upset about the footage of the attacks and the fact that people had actually died. One kid in particular was very distraught about the fact that we still hadn't found the man responsible. Later on in the day this student came to me for science class and I could see that there was something on his mind. When I asked him what was up he told me that he was thinking of a plan... "What kind of plan?" I asked... He responded "A plan to catch Ben." I stopped for a moment to try and decipher what he might be talking about. I asked him who "Ben" was and why was he trying to catch him. He was frustrated with me and said, you know Ben, the guy who crashed all the planes. I could not for the life of me figure out what he was talking about- as far as I knew there was no Ben during the 9/11 attacks. Finally, the kid says, you know,  his last name is Laden... Ben Laden!! Ohhhhhhhh! I said- his name is not Ben, it is  Bin Laden and that is his last name, his first name is Osama. I wrote the name on the board for him to see and he looked at it with a funny look and said- no thats not who I am talking about... thats they guy that is running for president!! lol
Oh kids.... oh miscommunication and ohhhhhhhh our school system. Gotta love them all. I did go on to explain the difference between Osama and Obama and the only response I got was- what kind of name is Barack? hahaha. It is one of those moments that will make me smile for years to come... 

2 comments:

erin said...

yeah! we can leave a comment. we tried to look at your blog a few days ago ... and could not. i love the cute ladybug rug in your classroom, and we are happy to see your all are doing well.
as sad as 9/11 is and was, i am pleased that your little guys were so touched.

Dorey said...

That is funny! Kids say the funniest things and sometimes you think that they aren't listening or don't understand and then they surprise you. =) I agree with him though, I still can't believe we haven't caught "Ben" already!!