Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sea Glass


I wrote this for a friend of mine a few years ago and ran across it today... interesting my perspective on pain in the lives of people close to me and how fitting it is for me today...

Sea glass originates as an ordinary bottle or jar tossed overboard into the ocean where it breaks into pieces and tumbles around. A piece of broken glass undergoes a dramatic transformation on its journey to become sea glass. Once sharp, the shard's edges gradually smooth by tumbling against rock and sand, making each piece unique and different. When spotted on the shoreline, a water-drenched piece of sea glass stands out like a shiny, glistening jewel. This precious treasure would never have the character, shine and irreplaceable qualities that it now possesses without the constant toss of the waves and the harsh rocks and sand.
Like the sea glass so harshly formed, so are you a precious treasure. Without the abandonment of being thrown overboard you may always have been ordinary, without the breaking of you into pieces, you may always have been simply fashioned. Without the overwhelming waves you may still have your sharp edges and without the pain of sand, you may not glitter as you do. Keep strong cherished friend and display your beautiful scars with pride, for you are all the more beautiful because of them.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Beautiful. You really are a great writer.

Moore Minutes said...

Wow Abby. This is simply beautiful. Truly. I'm saving this! This has excellent application in life. I'm so happy you shared it.

On a side note, your friends are blessed to have you. That would have been such a treasure to receive. I love how deeply you feel and care. It's a quality I appreciate in people. Actually, I still remember (and still have) two letters you gave me. One was when we were VERY YOUNG and my Uncle Mike died. You even drew a rainbow on it. :) And the other was a heartfelt and very touching letter after I got pregnant as a teenager. Thank you for that! Your gifts have blessed others and continue to do so.

Again, this Sea Glass story is incredible.